Wednesday

I REMEMBER THE PURPLE HAZE BUT I'M CONFLICTED ABOUT THE TRADEMARK

Not sure how this one got by me. Though I don't listen to rock anymore I consider Jimi Hendrix to be the greatest rock guitarist of all time. The online site STARPOWER.COM reports that in Feb. the Hendrix estate won a 3 million dollar trademark verdict.
The case involved use of the Hendrix likeness and signature on purple tinged vodka bottles.
Was this meant to call Hendrix to mind? Of course. But I find myself of two minds about such conduct. Yeah yeah I suppose his heirs should be entitled to some loot. Indeed there have been wrangles involving Jimi Hendrix everything for years.
But Hendrix died in 1970. Why shouldn't someone or anyone have free reign to use his image. The more the merrier. With nobody able to claim the exclusive right to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home